CAINE LiveCD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NBcaine2.0 drops to busy box

3 posters

Go down

NBcaine2.0 drops to busy box Empty NBcaine2.0 drops to busy box

Post  electhor Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:32 pm

This problem was brought up by j58 in September. j58, managed to get his/her device working after a few attempts - I cannot. I have reformatted the usb stick (FAT16) 4 times (purchased new today, by the way) and each attempt at a fresh install, the same result happens. Quite frustrated as I have wanted Caine 2.0 for some time and wished to have it running off a usb, rather than a live cd. Seems to load fine until just after the 'ubuntu' boot splash screen, then I get the following message.

BusuBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/sda5 on /snap-backing failed: invalid argument

MD5 checksum of the .gz I downloaded, matches the checksum on the caine2.0 download page.

electhor

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

NBcaine2.0 drops to busy box Empty Re: NBcaine2.0 drops to busy box

Post  nannib Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi,
did you ever used NBCaine before these attempts? Your pendrive is only a storage pendrive (no U3, etc.)? What is its size?
did you use the command:
sudo dd if=nbcaine2.0.dd of=/dev/sdb bs=32K
be sure /dev/sdb and not sdb1 or sdb2 etc.
(sdb is for istance...)
Did you try to boot on others computers using that pendrive?
Did you try NBCaine 1.5 ...is it the same beahavior?
Thanks let me know Wink
bye
nannib
nannib
Admin

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-10-28

http://www.nannibassetti.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  electhor Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:10 am

Thank you for you quick reply.
My pendrive is not a U3 (they are horrible!) and it has a 4GB capacity. I have not tried it on another computer as yet, but may be able to in the next couple of days.
I did use the syntax you have suggested and as I stated, tried it a number of times, with the same result each time. I will try to reinstall again later today (may zero the pendrive first and then format to FAT16 and see if that makes a difference). Will try it on another computer when I can get access to one. I unfortunately only have a laptop (2.13GHz CPU with 2GB RAM) at present, so have to go to friend's house to try it on another computer.
I never managed to get caine 1.5 running off a pendrive - kept getting a kernel panic, but caine 1.5 live cd ran fine, as did caine 1.5 off an external hard drive. I can run ubuntu and puppy linux from a pendrive without issue on this computer, so why this won't work is a mystery to me. Anyway, I'll try to install again to the pendrive. I will let you know what happens once I can get access to another computer, also.

electhor

Back to top Go down

Post  electhor Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:24 am

OK - I zeroed the pendrive, set a new partition table and tried to install caine 2.0 again. Same result, drops to busy box. If I dd to /dev/sdd it loads as far as the ubuntu splash screen and then drops to busy box (will show complete output below). If I dd to /dev/sdd1, it comes out with a corrupted, unrecognisable filesystem. In addition, I installed ubuntu 10.04 to the same pendrive via startup disc creator and it worked fine. Thus there is no problem with the pendrive, or the computer re running a live distro from either device. As previously mentioned I also run puppy linux from a pendrive and have run previous versions of ubuntu from external hard drives without issue on this computer (Compaq Presario C700 with 2GB RAM).
Busy box output:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu1:1.13.3-1ubutnu11) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands
(initramfs) stdin: error 0
/init : line 3: can't open /dev/sdc : no medium found
/init : line 3: can't open /dev/sdd : no medium found
/init : line 3: can't open /dev/sr0 : no medium found
/init : line 3: can't open /dev/sr1 : no medium found
stdin : error 0
mount: mounting /dev/sda5 on /snap-backing failed: invalid argument
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NB: /dev/sda5 is / on regular ubuntu 10.04 installation.
Sort of feel stuck. Will try to configure caine 2.0 to an external hard drive and see if that works - if not, guess I will have to revert to the live cd.

Never-the-less, I hope the above information gives someone some useful information re de-bugging the issue.

electhor

Back to top Go down

Post  nannib Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Ok but if you want to use the caine2.0.iso (live cd release) to build a new brand nbcaine, remember to change the file casper_old in casper (it is in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/), only in this way it can work.
let me know bye
Thanks
nannib
nannib
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nannib Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Can you try to virtualize NBCaine2.0 (Virtualbox or VMware) you can use LiveView to virtualize directly the dd file or you can convert the dd file in Virtualbox or VMWare format...
if you can let me know
thanks bye
nannib
nannib
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  electhor Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:06 am

I will try virtualbox when I get the time (hopefully tonight, Australian time). I may also try to install 10.04 to an external hard drive and then download the caine-from-deb installer and see if that works. Speed via an external hard drive should be adequate, even when running from within a full distro. I'll let you know what transpires when I have done the aforementioned procedures. Unfortunately, I am at present running on a 3G modem with limited download limits as my only internet access, so I sort of have to be a bit careful re the amount I download to avoid large $$$$ excess charges.

electhor

Back to top Go down

Post  nannib Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 am

Try to search among these results:
http://tinyurl.com/36euzmk
bye
nannib
nannib
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  electhor Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks for the link.
I looked through the the links, but was not really any the wiser after having done so! I am competent with linux, but not an expert.
I have not yet got around to trying virtualbox, however I did install 10.04 to an external hard drive and managed to get deb-from-caine installed (a very good installer, by the way - congratulations).
If you would still like me to try the virtualbox method, let me know and I will attempt something later in the week.
In the meantime, I may attempt to dd the external hard drive installation of caine 2.0 onto a usb pendrive, and with some luck, this may work.
Thanks for your assistance and I will let you know how the above turns out when I have the time to try them out. At least Caine 2.0 is working - that's the most important thing.
Although frustrating at times, there is always more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

electhor

Back to top Go down

Post  nannib Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:39 am

One friend of mine downloaded NBCaine and cloned it on his pendrive.
1) Busybox on Acer Aspire One (9" screen)
2) All right on another laptop dual core.

I use NBCaine on my Samsung NC10 (cpu Atom) and it works fine...so maybe the problem is an hw incompatibility...I guess.
Thanks
nannib
nannib
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  electhor Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi nannib,
I installed caine2.0 from within ubuntu (via 'caine-from-deb') as described in the earlier post. I dd the external HDD partition to a usb pendrive and then booted a live cd and installed grub2 to the usb pendrive. Caine2.0 is working of a usb pendrive.
Just letting others know that this is a viable work-around if the nbcaine2.0.dd installer doesn't work.
Leave it at that now, thank you for your interest and attempts to help.

electhor

Back to top Go down

Post  nannib Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Ok thanks for your solution....it will be useful for the others users Smile
Many thanks again
nannib
nannib
Admin

Back to top Go down

NBcaine2.0 drops to busy box Empty Possible workaround to the problem.

Post  aldogiga Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 pm

I also encountered the same problem.

I solved this way.

At the prompt (initrams) just press few times Return.
then write "exit" and press Return again.

Repeat the above steps other two times and ... the Caine screenshot appears.

I believe it is an uncorrect error management in the init procedure that interrupts the flow of commands to the prompt.
The exit command just returns to the init procedure and continues.
Bye

aldogiga

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down